Ponzu tuna steaks recipe with grape and lamb’s lettuce salad
This recipe for ponzu tuna steaks from Kikkoman is a fresh way to enjoy fish for dinner.
Ponzu is a citrus-flavoured sauce that’s commonly used in Japanese cooking. It’s usually made from yuzu, or other citrus fruits, as well as katsubushi (dried fish flakes) and seaweed. But you can make your own simple ponzu-style sauce without any of these hard-to-find ingredients, or you can buy a pre-made sauce.
Finding tuna that’s sustainable can be a tricky business. On the whole, opt for albacore tuna for the most sustainable option, ideally buying those that have been caught buy pole and line. Also keep an eye out for tuna that has been certified by the Marine Stewardship Council. You can find out more about responsible fishing at Seafish and Marine Stewardship Council.
You can also swap the tuna steaks for an alternative like salmon or trout. Both taste great when served in this recipe.
An array of leaves and greens gives the salad a fresh and vibrant appearance. Chicory is a fantastic source of inulin. Inulin is a type of fibre and prebiotic. It helps to feed the good bacteria living in our gut, helping to support our digestive system. Meanwhile, lamb’s lettuce is rich in beta-carotene, which is converted to vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A helps to keep our vision and skin healthy, while also helping to support our immune system.
Read more recipes like this
- Tuna and courgette lasagne recipe
- Griddled chicken salad with peaches
- Broad bean salad recipe with asparagus and new potatoes
- 8-10 tbsp ponzu sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Some chopped rosemary needles
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 tuna steaks (approx. 120g each)
- 100g cream
- 1/2-1 tsp tahini paste
- 1/2-1 tsp brown sugar
- 2-3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 heads chicory
- 100g sugar snap peas
- 100g red, seedless grapes
- 2 shallots
- 1 bunch chervil, leaves picked
- 60g bread croutes
To make your own ponzu sauce simply mix together:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of ½ orange
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Japanese rice wine vinegar
- Pinch of sweet paprika
- Mix 4 tbsp of ponzu, 2 tbsp of olive oil and rosemary for the marinade and season with pepper. Brush the tuna steaks with the marinade and chill.
- Mix the remaining ponzu, cream, tahini paste, sugar and vinegar for the dressing and season with pepper.
- Halve the chicory, cut out the stalk and cut lengthways into strips. Slice the sugar snap peas lengthways into strips. Peel the shallots and cut them into rings.
- Fry the tuna steaks in a non-stick pan on both sides for about 5-8 minutes. Arrange lamb’s lettuce, chicory, sugar snap peas, grapes and shallots on plates and drizzle with the dressing. Garnish the salad with chervil and bread croutes and serve with the tuna steaks.
– If you like a slightly more oriental note, replace the chervil with coriander.