Ham, cheese and mushroom savoury pancakes
For the buckwheat pancakes
- 3 heaped tbsp buckwheat flour (can be swapped for spelt)
- 40ml milk
- 1 organic egg
- Knob of butter
For the savoury topping
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- Handful of chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaes
- 1 tbsp chutney of choice
- 1 slice of good-quality ham
- 30g hard cheese of choice (we like cheddar) grated
- Salt and pepper
These savoury pancakes make a tasty change to lemon and sugar. Simply fry your buckwheat crêpe, layer with your chosen topping, and pop under the grill – a fun and filling meal for one.
- To make the pancakes, mix the four, milk and egg. Heat the butter in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and ladle in the mixture. Move the pan around or use the back of a spoon to thin the mixture.
- Let it cook for two minutes on each side, before carefully removing the pancake with a spatula and placing it onto a baking tray ready for your topping.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and sauté the red onion, mushrooms and thyme for five minutes until they start to caramelise.
- Spread the chutney over the pancake, before evenly spooning on the red onion and mushroom mixture. Tear the ham into small pieces and sprinkle on top , along with the cheese.
- Place in the oven for approximately eight minutes, keeping an eye on it until the cheese is melted and the ham is crispy.