Gingernut lime pie recipe
- 200g gingernut biscuits
- 80g butter
- 3 eggs separated
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 300g cream
Straight from the shores of Kenya’s glorious sunny coastline, this lime pie recipe is a zesty way to serve up dessert.
This refreshing pudding is crafted by the chefs at the famous Peponi Hotel in Lamu, Kenya. It’s light, sweet and super easy to make.
A base made from gingernut biscuits adds a twist to an all-time classic, and you can be sure your guests will be back for seconds!
More dessert recipes
- Make the base by blitzing the biscuits in a food processor until fine. Add the butter and blitz until combined. Press the mixture into a tart tin, making sure it’s evenly flat and around the sides of the tin.
- Place in a 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7 oven for two minutes, then refrigerate for 20 minutes, until filling is ready.
- To make the filling, whisk up the egg yolks and sugar with an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add in the lime zest.
- In two separate bowls, whip the egg whites to a soft meringue consistency with peaks, then in the other bowl, lightly whip the cream.
- Fold half of the dream and half the eggs whites to the bowl, then pour the mixture into the chilled base. Pace in the freezer for an hour to set.
Limes are an excellent source of vitamin C and antioxidants, making them perfect for giving your skin a bit of a boost.