Fabulously festive cranberry sauce recipe
- 350g fresh (or frozen) cranberries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Zest & juice of one orange
- Up to 8 tbsp honey/maple syrup for sweetness
- 250ml water
A Christmas dinner plate just isn’t complete without a festive flash of cranberry sauce. What with all the puddings, mince pies and boxes of chocolate, we get quite enough sugar over the Christmas period. Shop-bought cranberry sauces are often loaded with sugar, so making your own is a much healthier option.
- Put all the ingredients into a heavy-based saucepan. Place a lid on, and slowly bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and stew gently for about 30-40 minutes.
- If you want to make the sauce a little thicker once cooked, remove the lid and continue to simmer over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally. Be careful not to let all the liquid evaporate otherwise you may find the sauce can burn on the bottom of the pan fairly easily.
- Allow to cool, remove cinnamon stick, then check for sweetness, adding a touch more honey or syrup if needed.
- These jewel-red berries are packed full of phenolic compounds, which can help to prevent bad bacterial overgrowth.