S3E9: Loving Humanity with Amy Peake
In this week’s episode of Wellness with Liz Earle, Liz is joined Amy Peake – the founder of the not-for-profit charitable organisation, Loving Humanity. Listen in as Amy shares her incredible journey from the comfort of home county life to the extreme conditions in refugee camps. Amy founded Loving Humanity after being moved by scenes of these camps during the Syrian refugee crisis but, instead of letting these harrowing images wash over her, she looked at those pictures and asked, “How on Earth would I cope if it were me and my daughters? How, especially, would I manage if I had my period or my baby were in need of nappies? In this Boxing Day special, listen in to discover how Amy founded her organisation of sanitary saviours and what we can do to get involved.
Inside the episode:
- Amy describes her life before founding Loving Humanity and tells Liz the remarkable coincidences that led her to start her charitable organisation.
- Amy describes her first visit to Jordan.
- What is life like for women in refugee camps?
- Amy shares her experience of visiting Mr. Meruga and his sanitary pad making machines in India.
- Amy and Liz talk about what it’s like women going through menstruation during a refugee crisis.
- Amy explains some of the difficulties she has faced delivering sanitary products to the camps.
- Amy explains why incontinence is such a pressing issue in the camps.
- Amy shares her plans for the future.
- What is the Syrian Refugee camp like now?