S2E8: Bumblebees with Gill Perkins
In this week’s episode of Wellness with Liz Earle, Liz is joined by CEO of the Bumblebee Conservation Trust – Gill Perkins. Under Gill’s leadership, the trust is on a mission to keep our bumblebees buzzing with a number of exciting projects including building a huge 10,000 hectares of sustainable, bee-friendly habitat. A fascinating fount of all knowledge regarding the not so humble bumblebee, listen in as Gill shares her love and passion for these prolific pollinators.
Inside the episode:
- Gill shares how she first caught the bumblebee bug.
- What came first? The flower or the bee?
- Gill explains the difference between honeybees and bumblebees.
- Gill explains why we have to import bumblebees to the UK.
- What would our diets look like if we didn’t have pollinators? How would our landscapes change?
- Why does organic farming benefit bumblebees?
- Gill shares how we can look out for bumblebees in our gardens.
- Why are honeybees terrible pollinators?
- Gill shares the easiest bee-friendly plants to have around the home.
- Why do bumblebees pollinate? What’s in it for them?
- Gill explains why we should never feed a struggling bee honey and what to do instead.
- Gill shares the amazing work that the Bumblebee Conservation Trust is doing.
- What role do butterflies play in pollination? Who are our nighttime pollinators?
- Is it true that when a bumblebee stings you it will die?
Resources mentioned in the episode: