Dark chocolate rocky road recipe
This dark chocolate rocky road recipe is the grown-up version of a childen’s classic treat. This version is low in sugar and packed with colourful fruit and nuts. It’s the perfect treat to enjoy when you’re seeking something sweet, without the need to reach for refined sugar. Plus, slicing this recipe into squares means you have easy control over your portion size.
It might sound too good to be true, but dark chocolate has plenty of health benefits. Rich in natural antioxidants and vital minerals including potassium, iron, magnesium and copper, dark chocolate is actually really good for you. We recommend opting for a bar with a minimum of 70% cocoa solids to get the most benefit.
The majority of sweetness in this recipe comes from dried fruits, which contain naturally occurring sugars. Dried fruit can be a good option for replacing refined sugar in your sweet treats. For more information on this, take a look at our guide to replacing sugar in your baking here.
Along with being low sugar, our chocolate rocky road recipe is no bake too. All you need is a 20x20cm square tin lined with baking parchment to get started. It couldn’t be easier!
Discover more of our low-sugar recipes
- Low-sugar chocolate orange gâteau recipe
- Nutty almond, banana and pear loaf recipe
- Easy banana bread recipe
- 100g coconut oil
- 100g 80% dark chocolate
- 100g pitted dates, chopped
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 100ml low-sugar almond milk
- 100g low-sugar granola
- 100g light rich tea biscuits, roughly broken up
- 200g mixed fruit and nuts, plus extra to sprinkle
You will need a 20x20cm square tin, lined with baking parchment.
- Put the coconut oil and chocolate into a large saucepan and gently melt over a low heat. Put the melted oil and chocolate, dates, cacao powder and almond milk into a food processor or powerful blender and blitz until smooth.
- Mix in the granola, biscuits and fruit and nuts, then spoon into the prepared tin. Flatten into the tin and sprinkle over a handful to decorate the top. Gently press down and cover. Chill for two to three hours until completely set. Slice into squares.