Bird seed shapes
- 250g lard, leftover meat dripping or vegetable suet
- 750g wild bird seed mix
- Cookie cutters
- Tin foil
- Baking tray
- Metal skewer
- String/wooden lollipop sticks
It’s super simple to keep your garden’s wild birds happy and well fed during the colder months with this fatty, nutritious seed mix.
- Place the lard on a low heat in a pan until it melts. Take it off the heat and let it cool a little.
- Mix in the seeds and put in the fridge for around five minutes until the mixture starts to solidify.
- Place the cookie cutters on tin foil on a baking tray. Fill the moulds with the mix, pressing it in firmly to make it compact.
- Using the skewer, make a hole large enough for the string to thread through so it can hang, or push wooden lollipop sticks through the mix. Place in the fridge to solidify, then thread the string through.