Homemade leave-in hair conditioner
Heat can make hair more prone to split ends and breakages which, in turn, causes dry and tangled hair. A homemade leave-in hair conditioner can be one way to keep your hair feeling silky smooth and tangle free.
Split ends are caused when the protective outer cuticle shaft covering each hair strand is either damaged or worn away (by hot styling gadgets, over-brushing, braiding). Once the cuticle is damaged, hair strands become vulnerable and more likely to split and break. To keep your hair healthy and tangle-free, try this deliciously scented, homemade leave-in conditioner and detangling spray.
We’ve included lavender essential oil in the recipe to give our leave-in conditioner a wonderful scent. Lavender also helps to soothe and calm the nervous system. A number of clinical studies have shown that lavender can help to promote relaxation and sleep.
The presence of oils in the conditioner will also help to give hair that added shine. Flaxseed and olive oils are high in both vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids, contributing to healthy hair growth and shine. You can use a variety of different oils for an intense conditioning treatment. Liz’s favourites are coconut oil, avocado oil and a light (not extra virgin) olive oil.
- 500ml water
- 2 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (optional – helps to smooth hair and add shine)
- 5 drops lavender essential oil (or 10 drops if not using apple cider vinegar)
- Small spray bottle
- Sieve lined with a muslin cloth
- Add the water and flaxseed to a saucepan and bring to the boil, simmering for around 15 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Leave the mixture to cool and pour into the spray bottle, straining through a sieve lined with a muslin cloth.
- Leave to cool, add the apple cider vinegar, olive oil and lavender essential oil and stir well. Dilute with water until the mixture is thin enough to work in a spray bottle.
- Add to the bottle, shake well and apply to the ends and mid-lengths of damp hair for an extra boost of moisture after washing.
- Store the mixture in the fridge and use within three weeks. Shake before each use.
- Oils rich in vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids help your hair shine
- Apple cider vinegar can help cleanse hair of product build up