Asparagus, fennel, radish and pea salad recipe
- 300g asparagus spears
- 100g asparagus tips
- 1 fennel bulb
- 150g radishes
- 150g garden peas
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 60g pine nuts
- Salt and pepper
- Remove the tips of the asparagus spears and set to one side. Chop off the tough ends and discard. Using a mandolin, sharp knife or vegetable peeler, slice the stalks of the asparagus spears lengthways into thin ribbons (or as thin as you can, depending on what you’re using). Carefully slice the more delicate asparagus tips in half lengthways.
- Slice the fennel lengthways and again in half so the pieces resemble thin batons, then slice the radishes into small, thin, discs.
- If using frozen peas, defrost by pouring over near-boiling water and leaving for a few minutes before rinsing with cold water and draining. Add peas onto a serving platter, followed by the fennel and radishes.
- Blanch the asparagus stalks and tips in boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes to soften, then drain well. Drizzle with a tbsp of olive oil and season with salt and pepper before piling onto the serving plate. Add the crushed garlic to the salad along with two tbsp of olive oil and lemon juice and zest. Toss the ingredients together well.
- Toast the pine nuts in a pan over a medium heat for two minutes or so until golden and scatter over the salad to serve. Finish with another sprinkle of salt and a twist of black pepper.
Loved this? Read now: